Sunday, April 6, 2008

Some Days Are Better Than Others

I love having small children. Erik woke up with Ewan this morning around 5:45-7:00 so I was able to sleep till around 9:00, excellent huh (except for the fact we went to bed around 3:00 a.m.). 6 hours isn't bad, better than usual. Anyway, I was still feeling tired, a little grumpy (I am in no way a morning person, the evening is my forte) when I started to feed Ewan his morning concoction of peas and rice cereal. I looked around my yellow room; I could slightly see Erik making his weekend ritual pancakes (which are very good) while we listened to Creedence Clearwater Revival and here was Ewan saying, "hmmmm mmmmhhh hmmmm," while I re-scooped the one spoonful of cereal into his mouth for the third time. Carson grabbed her harmonica off her dresser and had found the highest pitch she could make while blowing with all her might and chasing Boo, tormenting the poor dog as he tried to run away from her and her ear-splitting sounds. I don't know what it is with some days. Some days I would wake up, look around and think, I hate this yellow-painted room, or, I have a headache why does it have to be so loud yet there are days like today where I think, this is wonderful, the only way it could be better is with Jeff and Calista around. The events were the same events that often happen in our house. Ewan always talks while spitting out his food, as I said Erik makes pancakes every weekend, and, yes, Carson does often chase Boo with the noise of a banshee. Today, however, I was struck with the wonderment of it all.

Carson did this and then took the picture.

On a slightly unrelated note, I have little to no patience with present giving. Yesterday I was able to buy Erik a gun (a Glock 22 40 caliber) which I wanted to get him for his birthday but didn't know if I could ever get the money. Yes, I did have to borrow money from him without telling him what it is for which I will pay back in installments but I did come up with more than half the money. I was excited to give it to him. He is Mr. Practical, always wanting something useful and I am Ms. Fun, never wanting anything practical so I often don't give the most useful gifts but they are always fun. This year I had two main presents in mind, the gun for his birthday which is May 2nd and another thing that, believe it or not, I have not given him and I have had for a month (this is for our 4-year anniversary July 3rd). I am extremely impressed with my present-buying abilities for these two days. I called up Aaron and told him I got Erik the gun. "When's his birthday?" He asks me. I tell him and Aaron replies, "That's a whole month; you won't be able to last that long." "Yes I will," I reply all offended. "If I give it to him early I will feel bad for not having anything on the actual day so I WILL save it." I gave it to him last night, approximately an hour after seeing him.

The World From My Point of View (my nose looks huge)

2 comments:

Erin said...

I Love reading about your everyday life. Thanks for posting. I agree that some days you just can't get enough, aren't kids the best(and Husbands)!

Kelli said...

Yeah, I totally understand your shower curtain assault. In one of my apartments in Utah I had the same issue nearly everyday. I ended up using my shampoo or conditioner to hold down the two sides at the corners of the tub. Man I hated those showers.