Monday, September 29, 2008

Long-Time Coming Updates

Well, here we are with our new school year. Carson started preschool and this is a picture of her after she fell asleep in the car from an exhausting day at school. Ewan is getting big. Click on this picture, look at that hair. On the 23rd of October he will be a year old. It is hard for me to believe all that time has passed already. Both he and Carson have inherited Erik's one-eyebrow raise. He is now taking one or two steps at a time. Watch and see but try not to look at me.

Jeff and Calista prove to me every day what amazing kids they are. They get themselves up at 6 a.m. and get ready for school. They have to leave at 6:50 to get to the bus stop on time. I told Jeff that if he cut off his soon-to-be mullet off I would let him dye his hair. He did so Erik used his hair skills and now Jeff's hair is black (his choice and not mine). We had some hair dye left over so Erik put streaks in Calista's hair. It turned out great!
Jeffrey likes a girl named Rikki who seems to have a lot of the same interests (the Twilight series, Batman, etc.) and she is a tough cookie. Apparently, some boy was giving Jeff crap, telling him he talked like a girl, and she told the kid to shut up or she would beat him up. Many of the girls are friends with Jeff. He was nervous no one would really like him because he had to get glasses. Erik also had to get glasses and both boys look extremely handsome with them on. I will have to post pictures later. Yesterday I received a note from Jeff's teacher that he did an amazing job on his book report on Of Mice and Men. Also, Jeffrey learned to ride a bike which is finally a possibility now that we live in podunk and not ghettoville.
Calista is doing amazing in school. She has started learning how to play the Viola and she is enjoying it. Her teacher says her reading level is well above average. She rides her scooter more than her bike, she is finding bike riding more difficult, but whenever she falls she just gets right back up without complaining. One couldn't ask for better kids than these four.
I've been listening to NPR news quite a lot. Holy Cranoli the state of today. The more I know about things the more I am convinced of my more liberal, humanitarian, not religious self and beliefs. I have also been reading a lot, trying to attain my yearly goal of forty books. There's a list on the side of the blog if you're interested. I am going to need to go see a neurologist about migraines. I can't figure out what is triggering mine. Also, I went to the eye doctor and apparently my migraines are swelling my optical nerves making it more likely to get migraines, an endless cycle. Besides that I am doing well. Erik bought me a real bike and I was able to choose it myself. To illustrate one of the many differences between Erik and me here are pictures of both our bikes. For you, Brittney, I added a picture of the baby seat I was talking about. With Erik's bike he got a sleek racer-style helmet and with my bike I got a helmet that looks similar to an army helmet.
Erik at first didn't want to get glasses, insisting he didn't need them. He got them at my insistence and he likes how it is easier to read and it doesn't make him as sleepy to read. He is reading an interesting book right now by Sherman Alexie called, The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, a fiction book about Native Americans living on a reservation but it is very poetic at the same time. (I am reading A Clockwork Orange which isn't the easiest to get through but is interesting.) Erik recently finished his two week training in Seattle and today he is at a funeral all morning for a park officer who was shot and then he works till 11 tonight. He has tomorrow off and then on Wednesday he talks to Calista's class about being a Police Officer and then Wednesday night he starts graveyard shift. PooPoo to that I say. 11p.m. to 7a.m. shift sucks. On another note I signed him up to take the LSAT, much to his chagrin. He talks about wanting to be a lawyer so I figured he better start working toward it. He takes that December 6th.
Because Erik grew up here he knows people he arrests, works with, etc. As a result of being a high-school student in Port Angeles, all the officers think he's a ladies man and sometimes refer to him as McLovin. I figure if I meet any of these ex-girlfriends I will say to them, "So, you are the girl who made out with my husband." He can't go anywhere without seeing people he knows, whereas, I am quite anonymous.
That is most of our new news except that I found out I am allergic to my cat. If anyone has a good home I'd love to know. I hope to blog more frequently now that things have slowed down a little though they are never slow with two schoolkids taking fencing, a preschooler who doesn't allow me to say any form of goodbye so I have to say, "Have fun," and a soon-to-be toddler who is just plain trouble, in the cute way. Ta.

4 comments:

Timm said...

Good to have a family update from you! I love Calista's hair and I very much like Erik's new nickname, McLovin.

Anonymous said...

I laughed pretty hard about the ex girlfriend thing! I totally understand where you are coming from. In a town this small, you are bound to run into your past! *ugh*

All of the kids are getting cuter and cuter by the day! I cant believe Ewan is almost walking already!

Oh how time flies!

Brittney said...

I was starting to wonder if you were ever going to post again. It's good to hear from you. All the kids look great! I am totally jealous of you home. Hopefully someday we will be able to get a house.

janae said...

Um, so I think I ought to introduce myself. My name is Janae - I'm Erik's cousin. I saw your name on Megan's blog list today and hadn't realized until that moment that you blog. So, I hope its okay with you, but this afternoon I read every single post you've ever written. But it felt naughty, like reading your diary, so I figured I'd better confess! :)

So first, let me say that I love your "Questions I Ask Myself", I think you are absolutely hilarious, I'm glad you got away from that dangerous shed you had in Salt Lake, I laughed my head off about Erik's getting cat calls from the gay bar parking lot, and I think your kids are adorable! Wow. Run on. Second, I just want to make sure its okay with you that I read your blog, and if you want my blog address, give that to you. Email me: omeulixo@gmail.com